- About BPS
- History of the School
- Meet the Headmaster
- Aims and Values
- Pastoral Care
- Inspection Reports
- School Life
- Our Philosophy
- Modern Foreign Languages
- R.E. & P.S.H.E.
- Art & Design Technology
“Musical ability is not an inborn talent but an ability which can be developed. Any child who is properly trained can develop musical ability, just as all children develop the ability to speak their mother tongue. The potential of every child is unlimited” Shinichi Suzuki
The Music Department is a vibrant and busy part of life at Brooke Priory, with specialist staff teaching curriculum music, whole class instrumental lessons and providing opportunities for music making for all the children from Kindergarten to Form VI.
All children have the opportunity to receive individual musical tuition in a variety of disciplines, and the wide range of school ensembles gives everyone the chance to play or sing with others. During the school week there are scheduled rehearsals for both Junior and Senior Choir and two instrumental ensembles, Music Magic and Senior Ensemble. Regular concerts, after school recitals, performance assemblies and trips to senior schools for orchestral days and choir festivals give the children the chance to showcase their skills, develop self-confidence and perform to a wider audience. The following groups meet weekly:
• Carried Along – baby and toddler music group
• Pre-Prep Choir
• Form I – Whole class recorders
• Form II – Whole class violin lessons
• Form II – Whole class recorders
• Forms III – IV Junior Choir
• Forms V – VI Senior Choir
• Forms III – V Music Magic Junior Ensemble
• Forms IV – VI Senior Ensemble
• Brooke Singers
Music is an integral part of life at Brooke Priory, with specialist subject teaching ensuring that all pupils receive the highest possible standard of music education. Curriculum music is an opportunity for children to experience a wide variety of musical styles; listen, compose and perform together to develop confidence and a life-long love of music.
• To respond to music through movement and dance
• To develop listening skills and sound recognition
• To recognise the elements of music – melody, rhythm, harmony, dynamics, pitch, instrumentation and texture
• To acquire practical musicianship skills in composing and performing with a variety of instruments and singing
• To provide whole class instrumental tuition with music specialists
• To explore different genres of music and their cultural and social contexts
• To develop social skills and awareness through the enjoyment of performing in small groups and large ensembles
• To offer pupils opportunities to experience the personal satisfaction and self-confidence derived from striving after the highest possible standards whilst engaged in musical activities
The following studies are available for individual tuition from visiting teachers:
Violin, viola, piano, singing, flute, clarinet, saxophone, trumpet, trombone, cornet, guitar, ukulele percussion and harp.
Lessons are 30 minutes long, and 30 are delivered per academic year. ABRSM examination sessions are hosted by the school at regular intervals. The children may choose to be prepared the Associated Board of the Royal College of Music Examinations, or to develop their skills naturally. The talents of our musicians are always carefully monitored in case there is the potential to become a music scholar for future schools and we have had several students who have gone on to be awarded scholarships at prestigious schools such as Oakham and Uppingham.
The music department produces a full and exciting calendar every year. Some of the many highlights include: The Christmas carol concert; Grandparents concert; Termly stay and play recitals, and performances with Stamford Chamber Orchestra.
Exciting future plans for the Music Department include the introduction of House Music and entering Music competitions with Senior Choir.
Contact the School
Brooke Priory School, Station Approach, Oakham, Rutland LE15 6QW
Phone the School
Email the School
© Brooke Priory School 2022 Designed and Developed by Welland Creative