- About BPS
- School Life
- Our Philosophy
- Modern Foreign Languages
- R.E. & P.S.H.E.
- Art & Design Technology
Art & Design Technology
Art at Brooke Priory aims to engage, inspire and challenge pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art, craft and design. They will learn how art and design both reflect and shape our nation’s history, along with the influence of the wider world and other cultures.
- To develop creativity and imagination through a vast range of stimuli and experience of different mediums
- To improve children’s ability to control materials and tools and to develop a range of artistic techniques
- To develop children’s ability to communicate ideas, opinions and feelings about his/her own work and the work of others
- To increase critical awareness of the roles and purposes of art and design in different times and cultures
- To foster an enjoyment and appreciation of art and a knowledge of a range of artists, crafts people and designers and understand the historical development of their art forms
Design is everywhere we look – from the simple pencil sharpener, to the chairs we sit on and the buildings we work and live in. Children will become aware of the invaluable role design plays in our lives and how they can be involved in the design process. They will be encouraged to become autonomous and creative problem-solvers, both as individuals and as part of a team, developing their ideas and making products and systems.
- to enable children to talk about how things work, and to draw and model their ideas
- to develop imaginative thinking in children and to enable them to talk about what they like and dislike when designing and making, and to foster enjoyment, satisfaction and purpose in the process
- to encourage children to select appropriate materials for their purpose and the most suitable adhesives and joining methods
- to develop the skills necessary to handle different tools and techniques to manipulate the materials successfully, all in a safe environment. This will include food technology, involving an understanding of nutrition, hygiene, the safety required for the preparation of a variety of ingredients
- to critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others
Contact the School
Brooke Priory School, Station Approach, Oakham, Rutland LE15 6QW
Phone the School
Email the School
© Brooke Priory School 2019 Designed and Developed by Welland Creative